Tuesday 9 March 2021

A rainbow of butterflies

Sometimes I have a very clear idea of how a card will turn out, other times it just evolves and this was definitely one of those times.

I knew I wanted some kind of rainbow effect and I knew I wanted to water colour but I really wasn’t set on a particular look or design. In fact the first attempt ended up in the bin! I stamped the butterflies first then coloured with a water painter, I think it just looked a bit too neat.

It did decide the colours for me though so the second attempt was applying the colours using a water painter after spritzing the paper a little first.


While the paper was still wet I used the splatter stamps from Painted Poppies to add a little more colour. I then used my heat tool to dry the paper before stamping the butterflies.

The Stamparatus is essential here, I used the moveable hinged plate to restamp the butterflies in each of the different colours. 


Keeping the paper in the same position I then overstamped each butterfly with versa mark and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. This makes the butterfly detail stand out better and adds texture and sparkle.


I've trimmed down and layered onto black cardstock. The sentiment from Tasteful Touches has been heat embossed in white and the words separated. The detailed butterfly is a die in Brilliant Wings and has been embellished with a couple of sparkly Elegant Faceted Gems.


I love the way the colours contrast against the black and the watercolour effect turned out how I wanted in the end. Clear embossing is a great way to add texture and if you use the stamparatus you can literally emboss any colour.


Below are the details of all the products used including the colour choices with links to my shop.

Thanks for looking x

Product List 

No comments:

Post a Comment